Love March Madness, but have no clue who to pick? Well, we're here to rescue your bracket and present a legitimate look at how to pick your teams based on real tournament success related to pep bands. Yes, the pep band. Share and enjoy!
1) Pick the pep band that has the worst uniforms! Yes the worst. See Indiana University and their 5 National Championships in 38 NCAA Tournament appearances. This is science people! If you think a pep band has cute uniforms, don't pick them. Sorry IU, we know it's tradition, but damn those unis are ugly. Still picking you though.
2) Does the pep band director dress and dance like a rockstar? See the George Mason Green Machine. Doc Nix joined in 2006, the fall after they went to the Final Four. They have returned to the Dance twice under his watch. Coincidence? I think not. While George Mason is out of the big dance this year we expect Doc Nix to make it back to the center stage of March Madness soon. #PepBandPower
3) Love hockey? You're in luck! Finding a pep band sporting their hockey style pep band uniforms at a basketball game is now a thing. Like a totally legit thing that big basketball programs are totall
y okay with and because I'm from the northeast and love hockey I'm totally okay with it too. You started it Iowa State and Villanova. Obviously advancing to the round of 16? Just a reminder that the hockey jersey band's basketball teams are ranked in the top 25 this year...
4) Which pep band paints their face better? See the Butler University run to the Championship in 2011. This is simple boys, face paint = victories. By the way, Butler's face paint will be on display during this year's tournament because they are in it again.
5) Is the pep band more intimidating than the basketball team? 6'10" 255lb players have nothing on some bands. See the VCU Rams run to the Final Four in 2011. Fact: The VCU pep band has done the Haka war chant from New Zealand before games. If you haven't seen it...go...now...I may never sleep again. Oh and did we mention that VCU is a 10 seed this year? Don't tell us we didn't warn you about them.
6) Does the pep band use legit performance horns and wear white marching gloves to limit hand oils on instruments? See the University of Michigan's run to the championship in 2013. You can't fault a band for trying to keep their horns clean! Your mother would be proud. Last four in this year...Michigan.
7) Does the pep band have a super attractive guy playing trombone or mellophone that they just happen to conveniently place in the front row so the TV cameras catch him before every commercial break? It's just wrong to pick against him. Somehow Duke has one every year. However, James Madison is the self proclaimed "Most Attractive Pep Band" in the country. Louisville argued against it, but it appears JMU still came out on top. #Swoon #ManCrushMonday
8) Sweat bands for the win. Nothing says moving on to the next round more than head wear and in this case Kansas takes the cake. Sweaty head bands show true effort and those boys and girls from Kansas apparently sweat...a lot. I mean, why else would they invest in so many sweat bands each season. Wait...what? They use the same sweat band all year. AND NEVER WASH IT! Oh well, still a lock to move on. Maybe even win this year?
9) Does the band use protection on their trombones? Everyone can agree we need to limit the trombone population in the world these days which is why I will gladly move forward any team who uses population control measures...aka trombone sleeves. Hello Xavier!
10) And finally if the pep band wears hats, they could be the dark horse for an upset! Not many bands wear hats during the big dance, but if they do it's tough to bet against them. We see you WVU Pep Band and Dayton!
Good luck out there everyone and remember these 10 tips as you fill out your brackets!